What is surrogacy: There is a lot of discussion in the media regarding surrogacy. Many Bollywood celebrity actors and actresses have got a chance to become parents through surrogacy. You might have heard about surrogacy before as well. There would hardly be anyone who is not aware of the word Surrogacy. Because this word is very much discussed nowadays. know What Are Its Types of Surrogacy.
On hearing the name of surrogacy, many questions would arise in your mind like what is surrogacy, how is surrogacy done, why is surrogacy done? etc. Today, in this post, I will tell you about surrogacy in full detail, so that all the doubts in your mind will be cleared, so let’s start.
What is Surrogacy?
The process of placing a child of another couple in the womb of a woman is called surrogacy. This is a method in which the child’s mother is not pregnant herself and uses a surrogate womb. And they can get the pleasure of becoming parents.
If we talk about what is the Hindi meaning of surrogacy, then surrogacy is called ‘rented womb’ in Hindi. According to this technique, a man’s sperm is injected into the body of a healthy woman and the other woman becomes pregnant through In Vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment and gives birth to a child.
In this whole process, embryo is prepared by mixing Egg and Sperm in the lab and then it is put in the womb of the surrogate mother from where the pregnancy starts. In this technology, the pregnant woman is looked after by the doctors for the whole 9 months. So that they can give birth to a healthy child. After the completion of 9 months of this process, a healthy baby is born.
Why is Surrogacy Needed?
Surrogacy is the best way to have a child after many attempts. However, there can be many reasons for which surrogacy may be required. For example:
- Infertility or infertility problem
- Premature menopause
- Expulsion of the Uterus due to Abnormalities or Surgery
- If there is a physical problem
- If Age is greater
- There was any problem in the first pregnancy.
- If Surrogacy is your personal choice.
What is Surrogate Mother?
A surrogate mother is someone who gives birth to another’s child inside her womb. She becomes pregnant through medical techniques like IVF. She takes care of the child until it is born. After the child is born, the child is handed over to a pre-conceived couple.
The surrogate mother does not get any fee, money, honorarium or any other kind of assistance in this process. However, medical expenses will have to be paid. Also, it is necessary to provide insurance to the surrogate mother.
How Many Types of Surrogacy
There are 2 types of surrogacy: traditional surrogacy and gestational surrogacy.
1. Traditional Surrogacy:
This is a type of traditional surrogacy which is being used since a long time. In this type of surrogacy, the child is born from the father’s sperm and the surrogate mother’s ovum. In traditional insemination, the father’s sperm is mixed with the surrogate mother’s egg. In this process only the hereditary influence of the father can be seen in the child born.
2. Gestational Surrogacy:
This type of surrogacy is also called IVF surrogacy. Through which the embryo is made by mixing the sperm and egg of both husband and wife, and it is implanted in the uterus of the surrogate mother. The hereditary influence of both the mother and the father is seen in the child born this way.
Some Important Rules for Surrogacy
- The couple wishing to have a child with a surrogate mother must be Indian citizens.
- One or both the couples should have the problem of infertility.
- Surrogacy should not be used for any commercial purpose.
- A close relative of someone who needs a child must agree to be a surrogate mother. No one else has the opportunity.
- A woman can become a surrogate mother only once in her lifetime. There cannot be more than one.
- The age of the couple aiming to have a child should be between 23 to 50 years.
- Couples who have children with a surrogate mother must not have any children from their previous or adopted children. However, the child can be received by the surrogate mother only if the own child is mentally or physically disabled or has a life-threatening or fatal disease.
- The couple giving birth to a child through a surrogate mother cannot leave that child under any circumstances.
- There is no provision for sale of children for the purpose of rent, prostitution or any other form of exploitation.
Surrogacy Offenses and Punishments
Exploitation of surrogate mother, sale of human embryo or import of embryo is a punishable offence. For this act, you can face a minimum jail term of 10 years and a fine of up to Rs.10 lakh.
- Know What Food does not Cause Pregnancy? | What to do to Avoid Pregnancy
- Body Parts Swelling during Pregnancy and Cause
- If You are Not Believing These 7 Myths related to UTI
- In How Many Days Do Pregnancy Symptoms Appear
- How to Stop Heavy Bleeding during Periods Home Remedies and Causes
Today I told in this post that what is surrogacy, why surrogacy is needed? How many types of surrogacy are there? If you liked this post then do not forget to share it on social media. And if you have any question or suggestion regarding this post or this article, then tell us by commenting.