Ultrasound Procedure: As soon as the mother enters the pregnancy, she starts getting many advice from the elders of the house or the doctor. This advice is related to food, dress, work, medicines etc. The first thing doctors recommend during pregnancy is ultrasound. Ultrasound is called sonography in Hindi. Ultrasound in pregnancy is very important because it gives many important information about the fetus such as the number of the fetus, its heartbeat, the position of the fetus, its length or development. In such a situation, it is very interesting to know why and how important is ultrasound during pregnancy.
The first ultrasound is recommended in the second or third month of pregnancy. If there is a problem, an ultrasound can be done even before this. Before getting this done, the woman is asked to drink enough water so that the ultrasound can be done well.
Before it is performed, a gel is applied to the woman’s abdomen and a small hand-held transducer or probe is moved over the abdomen so that the baby can be seen. In ultrasound, the picture of the baby growing in the womb is clearly visible on the computer screen by sound waves. This allows parents to easily see the first picture of the baby. Ultrasound is also done through the vagina. With this, the picture of the fetus growing in the womb is visible even more clearly.
Are ultrasounds safe in pregnancy? (Ultrasound Procedure)
When my sister was seven months pregnant, we came to know through ultrasound that the baby was very underweight. Apart from this, my sister also had some problems. She had several ultrasounds until delivery. Due to this our relatives started believing that my sister’s child would not be healthy. Many times we also started thinking that ultrasound should not cause any problem to the baby. But nothing like this happened, with the information obtained from the inverse ultrasound scan, the doctors helped a lot in increasing the weight of the baby in the last month.
According to scientific survey, ultrasound test contributes a lot in reducing the defects and mortality rate in children. With its help, you are able to ensure the well being of your baby till the last month. Don’t be afraid of it.
Pregnancy Ultrasound Test Schedule
Doctors in India recommend about five to six ultrasounds during pregnancy. The first sonography or ultrasound is done in the first trimester or sixth week and the last in the third trimester. (Ultrasound Procedure)
- Dated and Viability Scan between 6 and 9 weeks
- Nuchal translucency scan or Level 1 (Nuchal translucency Scan N.T.) between 11 and 13 weeks
- Anomaly scan or Level 2 between 18 and 20 weeks
- scan between 28 and 32 weeks
- Growth scan and color Doppler scan between 36 and 40 weeks
In simple words, you can understand about ultrasound in pregnancy according to trimester:
- First Trimester Ultrasound: A sonography test performed in the first trimester shows the pace of the baby’s heartbeat and development. Level 1 ultrasound is done in the first trimester.
- Second Trimester Ultrasound Scan: In the second trimester, the body parts of the baby are detected. During this, it is checked whether the body structure of the child is correct or not. Tests at this time are very important.
- Third Trimester Ultrasound Test: Through the test done in the third trimester, the physical development, weight, position, etc. of the baby are ascertained.
In addition, more frequent ultrasounds are recommended in these situations:
- If the pregnant woman is older and has more than one baby in the womb.
- The size of the baby is more than normal or it is not developing properly.
- If there is any problem related to umbilical cord during pregnancy.
- The condition of the baby is not normal.
- The pregnant woman has high blood pressure, diabetes or any other condition that can affect the baby.
Precautions for Ultrasound Scan during Pregnancy
- To get an ultrasound done during pregnancy, many times you have to go empty stomach, ask the doctor about it beforehand.
- To get the ultrasound test done, it is necessary for the pregnant woman and her husband to have Aadhar and other identity cards.
- Ultrasound must be done during pregnancy, if there is any defect in the baby, then it can be known.
- Ultrasounds are done at very affordable rates in government hospitals. Talking about the price, it can vary from hospital to hospital.
- Always wear loose clothes to get an ultrasound done so that you do not have any problem in the clinic.
- Some hospitals allow family members and husband to visit at the time of ultrasound, ask your doctor about this beforehand.
- Ultrasound Procedure
Benefits of Ultrasound Scans During Pregnancy
1. Development of fetus
The first few months of pregnancy are very important and at that time it is very important to know whether the baby is developing properly in the womb because at this time the body goes through many hormonal changes. Not only this, the risk of miscarriage is highest in these months. If the fetus is not able to develop, then doctors treat it accordingly.
2. Number of fetus
How many babies are there in the womb can also be detected with the help of ultrasound. Many times there is more than one baby in the womb, so if they are known in advance, then precautions can be taken accordingly.
3. Baby’s Heartbeat
Along with the development of the baby, it is also necessary to get an ultrasound done to find out whether the baby’s heartbeat is working properly or not. Not only this, how many days or months the baby is, this thing can also be easily detected by ultrasound. The weight and length of the fetus can also be known by ultrasound.
It is also known through ultrasound whether the baby is normal or abnormal. If the child has any defect, then information about that is also available. Sometimes babies become victims of some problem in the womb itself. After getting complete information about the baby through ultrasound, the doctor gives some advice.
Ultrasound is also useful in knowing the position of the baby in the womb. Ultrasound is used to position the baby from the beginning of pregnancy until delivery. If the position of the baby is not correct, then the doctor treats accordingly and the delivery will be normal or caesarean.
6. Other Problems
Ultrasound is also helpful if there is bleeding during pregnancy or to detect the position of the placenta. Ultrasound in pregnancy can also tell whether the baby to be born is a boy or a girl, but it is a crime to find out legally.
- Maternity Bag Before Delivery
- Pregnancy Diseases list
- 10 Reasons For Not Getting Pregnant
- Benefits of IVF
- Best Time for Pregnancy
- 10 Best Foods to Boost Female Fertility
There are also beliefs about ultrasound scans that after more frequent ultrasounds, the child’s mental development is not done properly. Along with this, the immunity of the children who have repeated ultrasounds of the pregnant woman when she is in the womb, also weakens the immunity of those children. Due to this the child loses weight and he can get some serious disease. Many researches have been done about all this, but the Side Effects of Ultrasound During Pregnancy have not been fully proven. In such a situation, it can be said about ultrasound that it is very important to do it in pregnancy so that the child can be fully taken care of and the pregnant woman is also completely healthy.