Ganesh Utsav is celebrated across the country with full enthusiasm and gaiety. During Ganesh Utsav (How To Celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi), it seems that there is such a festival going on in the whole country, which is a combination of both colors and fireworks. Starting from Ganesh Chaturthi, this festival is celebrated till Anant Chaturdashi, till the immersion of the idol of Lord Ganesha. Especially in Maharashtra, Ganesh Utsav is celebrated with great pomp and special way. However, this festival is now being celebrated with great reverence in South India and North India as well. People install the idol of Ganesh ji with reverence in their house, street, locality and make the environment devotional with their worship, aarti and colorful programs every day.
Table of Contents
- Why is Ganesh Utsav celebrated?
- Ganesh Chaturthi History
- Important things for first time Ganesh Utsav
- Preparation For Ganesh Utsav
- Special Colors for Rangoli
- Ganesha Puja Vrat – Vidhi
- How to make Ganesh Utsav Prasad at home
- What Is The Right Way Of Ganesh Visarjan?
- Frequently Asked Questions and Answers about Ganesh Utsav
Why is Ganesh Utsav Celebrated?
There is an old story behind celebrating Ganesh festival. Actually Shri Ganesh ji was born on the Chaturthi of Bhadrapada Shukla Paksha. That is why every year Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated with pomp on this day. The celebration of the birthday of Lord Ganesha is known as Ganesh Chaturthi. On the day of Ganesh Chaturthi, Lord Ganesha is worshiped as the god of wisdom, prosperity and good fortune. It is believed that Lord Ganesha was born during the Shukla Paksha in the month of Bhadrapada. It is believed that Lord Ganesha was born during Madhyahna period, hence the time of Madhyahna is considered more suitable for Ganesh worship.
For Ganesh Puja people bring the idol of Ganesh ji home and worship him with full devotion. After that the idol is immersed after three, 5 or 10 days. The belief behind immersion is that just as the guests come to the house, they bring something, similarly we also invite God to our house every year, when he comes to the house, he definitely brings something for everyone. In this way, happiness and prosperity remain in the house. Ganesh Utsav begins on the day of Ganesh Chaturthi and then ends with the immersion of Ganesh idols on the 11th day Anant Chaturdashi.
How the Tradition of Celebrating Ganeshotsav Started – Ganesh Chaturthi History
Ganesh Utsav was first started in Maharashtra. The Chaturthi of the Shukla Paksha of Bhadra month is celebrated as Ganesh Chaturthi. It is mentioned in Shiva Purana that the tradition of celebrating this festival is going on for centuries. This festival is celebrated with great pomp in the southern and western states of India. It is said that since India was ruled by the Peshwas, Ganesh Utsav is being celebrated there. Under the rule of Sawai Madhavrao Peshwa, a grand Ganeshotsav was celebrated in the famous Shaniwarwada palace of Puna.
When the British came to India, they took over the states of the Peshwas. Since then, the color of this festival has started to fade a bit. But then Lokmanya Tilak considered the Ganesh festival and he started the public Ganesh festival in 1893 in Pune. It was then decided that Ganesh Utsav should be celebrated from Bhadrapada Shukla Chaturthi to Bhadrapada Shukla Chaturdashi (Anant Chaturdashi) and since then this festival was celebrated all over Maharashtra for 11 days. After that, this festival started being celebrated in other states of the country as well.
Tips for First Time Ganesh Utsav Celebrations
No deity can come from any direction without the permission of Ganapati, so before doing any auspicious work or worship of the deity, worship of Ganpati should be done. Only when all the directions are liberated by Ganapati, the worshiped deity can come to the place of worship. This method is called Mahadwar Puja or Maha Ganapati Puja. You can also install Ganesh ji at your home with the same method. Yes, during this time some things should be kept in mind.
Trunk of Ganesh ji
If you are installing the idol for the first time in the house, then keep in mind that the trunk of the idol should be on the left side. Many people worship Maa Gauri and Lord Ganesha together. Therefore, pay attention to the direction of the trunk of the idol to be installed in the house.
The idol of Ganpati ji should be installed in such a way that Bappa’s back should not be towards any room. Only his face should be visible. It is believed that poverty resides behind their backs.
Special Attention to Directions
Never keep the idol of God in the house without knowing the directions. Especially never forgetting the idol of Ganapati ji, never install it towards the south direction. Try to keep the idol in the east or west side only. With this Bappa will fulfill your wish.
Make Space in Advance
Before bringing Bappa into the house, make the place of his establishment. Never install the idol of God under the stairs as one goes up and down the stairs throughout the day and according to religion, it is an insult to God. Doing this according to Vastu brings bad luck in the house.
Preparation For Ganesh Utsav
For Ganesh festival, Bappa has to be installed in the house, so preparations have to be done many days in advance. Before installing the idol of Bappa in the house, there are many important preparations, which you need to know. Know the right way to prepare for Ganesh Utsav.
Choose the Best Idol
Various types of idols of Ganesh ji are found in the markets for Ganesh festival. Therefore, it is very difficult while choosing which idol to choose. While buying the idol, first of all look at the trunk of Ganesh ji, which side is he facing. After that look at both his feet. Actually, the idol in which the feet of Ganesh ji is touching the ground, that idol is auspicious and it gives stability and success in works. Apart from this, if you choose the idol a few days in advance, it will not cost you dearly and you will also get the idol you want.
Choose the Place of Worship Pandal
To celebrate Ganesh Utsav at home, there is not much difficulty in taking care of the Puja pandal, but when setting up a public Puja pandal, special attention has to be given to it. In the puja pandal that is set up for Ganesh Puja in societies, attention has to be paid to how many people will be able to come there or whether the place is suitable for worship or not.
Make a List Of Sweets
There is a lot of exchange of sweets during Ganesh Utsav. Sweets are distributed from Bappa’s bhog to the guests, so make a list of which sweets to make or buy a few days in advance. So that there is no mistake of any kind at that time.
Modak Making Material
During Ganesh Utsav people prepare Bappa’s favorite modak in their homes to offer as bhog. If you go to the market to get modak items during Ganesh festival, many times it is not even available because the demand is very high at that time. Therefore, you should bring all the items of modak at home in advance so that you do not have to worry later.
During the Ganesh festival, a lot of decoration is done in the house, in which there are different colorful flowers. Therefore, bring flowers and other items for decoration in advance. With this you will get everything at the right price.
Special Colors for Rangoli
Ganesh festival is not fun without Rangoli. Unless there is a Rangoli of different colors on the door, it does not seem that Ganesh Utsav is being celebrated in the house. Therefore, which Rangoli you have to make and what color to use in it, think beforehand and keep it with you. In this way, red, yellow, blue and green colors are used the most in Rangoli on Ganesh festival. It is said that these colors are auspicious and are liked by Ganesha.
Ganesha Puja Vrat – Vidhi
There are 4 main rituals of worshiping Ganesha. The first ritual begins with the installation of an idol at home on the first day of the festival, followed by the worship of 16 forms of Ganesha. In the third ritual the idol of Lord Ganesha is transferred and in the last ritual this idol is immersed. This is celebrated as Ganpati Visarjan.
Vrat – Complete Information about Vidhi
- First of all put Ganesh ji in his place and clean him.
- Then sit in front of Lord Vignesh and get the Brahmins to recite the mantra.
- Remember all the ancestors and planets by worshiping Lord Shankar ji, Parvati ji and Ganesh ji and after that worship all of them.
- After setting up the Kalash, put Saptamrita Guggal etc., and aromatic substances in it.
- First bathe Shankar ji, Parvati ji and Ganesh ji with Panchamrit and then with pure water.
- Make Shankar ji, Parvati ji and Ganesh ji sit on his throne.
- Then wear them as Yagyopavit.
- Now after bathing everyone, offer clothes to Shankar, ji Parvati ji and Ganesh ji.
- Place sandalwood, roli, vermilion and then rice in a plate. Now put them on all three.
- Offer floral garlands and ornaments to all the deities.
- Ashtadurva to Lord Ganesha.
- Now offer sweets to Ganesh ji, modak and boondi laddus are very dear to Ganesh ji, definitely offer them.
- After that offer Ritu fruit and paan, clove, cardamom and Dakshin along with it.
- Then do aarti of Ganesh ji and Shankar ji. Those who install the idol, they must do Havan with the immersion of the heart.
How to Make Ganesh Utsav Prasad at Home – Ganesh Utsav Prasad Recipe
As soon as the festival of Ganesh Chaturthi approaches, the devotees of Bappa get involved in bringing Lord Ganesha to their home with drums and drums. People worship Ganpati Bappa on this occasion and wish him to maintain happiness and peace in his house. Apart from this, there is another thing that is mentioned the most on this occasion, that is the offerings of Ganesh festival, Modak. So let us tell you today what is the right and special way to make it.
Ingredients for Prasad:
- Rice flour – 2 cups
- Jaggery – 1.5 cup (finely)
- Raw Coconut – 2 cups grated
- Cashew nuts and raisins – as desired
- Cardamom – 5 to 6
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Salt – half tsp
Recipe Method of Making Prasad
Step 1- First make pithi for filling in modak. For this, put jaggery and coconut in a pan and keep it for heating.
Step 2- Keep stirring it till the mixture becomes thick. Add raisins and cardamom to this mixture.
Step 3- Now put a small spoon of ghee in 2 cups of water and keep it for heating. As soon as the water boils, switch off the gas. Now add rice flour and salt and mix it well. After this keep this mixture covered for about 5 minutes.
Step 4– Take out the rice flour in a big vessel and knead the dough by softening it by hand. Make sure that the dough remains soft.
Step 5- Now prepare moyan with the help of ghee. After this, take a little dough and if you want, roll it into a small size or make it bigger with the palm itself.
Step 6- After this, fill the pitti in the middle and give the shape of modak by folding it with the fingers. Now put 2 glasses of water in a vessel and let it boil and cook it by placing the modak on a sieve or on a stand. Now offer bhog to Bappa.
- Why Lord Ganesha likes Modak here is The Reason
- Ganpati Bhajan Playlist 2022 – Ganesh ji Ke Bhajan
- Ganesh Chaturthi Unknown Facts about Lord Ganesha
What Is The Right Way Of Ganesh Visarjan?
Ganesh ji is immersed after one and a half days, 3 days, 5 days and 7 days. As per tradition, it is said that Shri Ganesh idol should be sent off in the same way as we treat the dearest person in our house when they go on a journey. That’s why people dance and sing and ask Bappa for his blessings that next year also Bappa will come to our house in the same way. This is the way of immersion of Bappa.
- Special bhog to Bappa on the day of immersion and it is necessary to keep fast on that day.
- After that take a clean pata. Purify it with Gangajal or cow urine. The lady of the house should make a swastika on it. Keep it intact. Spread a yellow, pink or red furnished cloth over it.
- Scatter rose petals on that cloth. Also, place four betel nuts on the four corners of the pate.
- Now place the idol of Bappa on it and worship it. Offer coconut, Shami leaves and Doob in worship.
- Now lift Shri Ganesha from the place of installation with his hymn and place him on this platform. After placing them on the floor, keep fruits, flowers, clothes, dakshina, 5 modaks with them.
- After that take the idol for immersion. If the idol is small, then keep it on the lap or head and carry it.
- While carrying the idol, it must be scattered in the house dedicated to Lord Ganesha.
While going for immersion, do not keep a leather belt, watch and purse nearby, immerse the idol barefoot.
- Perform camphor aarti again before immersion on the banks of river, pond or puddle. Wish Bappa a farewell and seek his blessings for wealth, happiness, peace, prosperity.
- Keep in mind that do not throw the Ganesha idol, but gently shed them with all the clothes and all the material with full respect and honour.
FAQ’s about Ganesh Utsav –
1. How should the eco-friendly Ganpati be immersed?
ANS: You can also immerse eco friendly Ganpati in your home. Because they will completely dissolve in water. They will not stop half-heartedly and with breaks. By immersing them in the house, you can always keep it with you by pouring water in your pot.
2. How many days can Ganesh ji be kept in the house?
ANS: Ganesh ji can be kept at home for 10 days or one and a half days, 3 days, 5 days and 7 days.
3. Apart from Ganesh ji, which other god is worshiped on Ganesh festival?
ANS: Apart from Ganesh ji, you can worship Shiva and Mata Parvati. His idol can also be planted with Bappa.