How to Become Income Tax Officer: Education has a special importance in life, in which after class 10th we have to select a particular stream of education for higher education. Most of you students will be interested in commerce or related education or from commerce through competitive examination. Your goal will probably be to work in related positions.
Talking about the high level employment posts in the public sector related to commerce, then there are golden future options in the Sales Tax Department, Income Tax Department, Accounts Department etc. Through this special article, we are going to give you information about one such important career option which is called ‘Income Tax Officer‘ in common language.
If you want to make a career as an Income Tax Officer, then this article will be full of information on what are the important steps to go through. Will definitely be through article too.
What is Income Tax Officer
Even though most of us must have heard this word but perhaps some people will not know its true meaning, generally people everywhere know only by the name of Income Tax Officer, which in true sense means ‘Income Tax Officer / Officer’.
The Income Tax Department is included under the Direct Taxes Board of the Government of India. Generally, there is a criterion on the income of the people, in which the people earning more income have to pay income tax to the administration.
If you say, your income source and annual income receipt from it is monitored by the administration, in which people who get more money than a specific income have to pay to the government in the form of tax. And this is not a matter of today. Public tax is imposed on all everyday items for centuries, the difference is only in their form.
Here the Income Tax Officer is the person who works on behalf of the administration in the income tax process and plays the role of getting payment from the people.
How to Become Income Tax Officer
Here you basically have to understand that all these posts come under the Government of India, for which you have to pass through the necessary examination, we have given below some of the examinations related to it, such as:
- Staff Selection Commission – Combined Graduation Level Exam (SSC CGL)
- Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
Selection Process of Income Tax Officer by SSC CGL.
You are considered eligible for this exam after fulfilling certain key criteria, which includes the following eligibility criteria.
- The minimum age of the interested candidate should be 18 years and the maximum age should be up to 27 years, in which the candidates belonging to backward classes are given age relaxation up to 5 years and other backward class candidates are given 3 years relaxation.
- Educational Qualification: It is mandatory to complete the minimum Bachelor’s degree/Graduation education, along with this education should be completed from any recognized educational institution/university under UGC.
- The minimum length / height of the aspiring student should be 157 CMS, while the width of the chest should be up to 81 CMS, in which after inflating the chest, its width is relatively to swell up to 5 CMS.
- In physical eligibility, walking for 1 kilometer here is relatively in 20 minutes, while cycling for 3 kilometers is required to be completed in 25 minutes.
Staff Selection Commission Exam Format – SSC Exam Format
Mainly here you have to give the exam in two phases which is generally known as pre exam and main exam, whose format we have given below.
1. Pre Exam – Preliminary Exam.
- Part A – General Intelligence and General Awareness (100 Marks, Total Time – 2 Hours)
- Part B – Arithmetic (100 Marks, Total Time – 2 Hours)
2. Main Exam – Main Exam.
- Language – 100 Marks (Total Time – 2 Hour 20 Minutes)
- English Comprehension – 100 Marks (Total Time – 2 Hour 20 Minutes)
- General Studies- Reasoning and Awareness (200 Marks, Total Time – 3 Hours)
- Arithmetic Abilities – 200 Marks (Total Time – 4 Hours)
- Communication Skills and Writing – 200 Marks (Total Time – 2 Hour 20 Minutes)
3. Personal Test / Interview
The candidates who are selected for the interview after successfully completing the main examination are finally interviewed by the Staff Selection Board, in which their skill test along with intelligence, readiness, seriousness, time indices, etc., are tested. And finally the eligible students are selected. Those who are appointed to administrative posts like Income Tax Officer, Income Tax Inspector etc.
By passing the examination under the Staff Selection Board in the above method, you can get selected for the post of Income Tax Officer, further we will know how you can get selection for this post by Public Service Commission.
Income Tax Officer Selection Through UPSC.
The Civil Services Examination is organized annually across India, under which the posts related to Income Tax Officer are recruited in the Indian Revenue Service.
This exam is taken in three phases which includes Pre Exam, Main Exam and Interview.
Talking about the age limit, then the minimum age limit of 21 years and maximum 32 years has been fixed for this examination. In which the backward class candidate is given five years and the other backward class candidate will get three years age relaxation by the commission.
Here the general category and other backward class candidates can try for success in the examination for maximum 6 times, the same backward class candidates can try for success till the end of the age limit, who do not have any restriction of efforts.
In this way the final list of successful candidates is issued on the basis of marks obtained in main examination and interview. In which the selected candidates in the Indian Revenue Service are appointed to the post of Assistant Tax Commissioner, which is a Group A level post.
Talking about education, here it is mandatory to complete the minimum bachelor’s degree / graduation education for this exam.
How to Apply for Income Tax Officer Exam
Here below we are giving you the official website to apply for both the important exams, which is as follows:
- Union Public Service Commission – https://www.upsc.gov.in/
- Staff Selection Commission – https://ssc.nic.in/
Helpful Tips To Become an Income Tax Officer
- Here you have two options for a career as an Income Tax Officer such as Staff Selection Commission Board Exam and Union Public Service Commission Exam, that’s why you should focus mostly on these two exams. At the same time, regularity in studies is absolutely essential.
- Regular inclusion of the habit of solving the old question paper of Staff Selection more and more often can help in solving the doubts in your mind, while your attention should be more on Arithmetic, Reasoning, English etc.
- To choose the right books, get guidance from the right people and people associated with these fields from time to time, so that you can get the right path of studies.
- At the time of need, with the help of various websites, get information on education literature, question papers, notes, guidance, so that you will get to learn something latest.
- Make a habit of reading newspaper daily as well as read analysis related to important events and get more and more information about country and abroad through news channel, which will strengthen your current affairs.
- Study from the books suggested by the commission from time to time and visit the official website of the commission so that you will continue to get the necessary information.
- It is worth noting that while working as an Income Tax Officer, you get an opportunity to work in front of the public, so you have to mold the attitude of courage, fearlessness, intelligence, readiness, seriousness and attachment towards work in your personality.
In this way, you have read about important things related to making a career as an Income Tax Officer, in which we have introduced you to almost all the necessary aspects.
Hope you have liked the given information as well as it will benefit you in future, must share the article to reach the information to other people, thank you for staying connected with us.
- How to Become a News Anchor
- Career in Tourism
- Career in Yoga
- Careers in Film Industry
- How to Turn Your Hobby Into a Career
- Custom Officer Salary
Most frequently asked questions on this topic – Income Tax Officer
Q1. What salary is given to Income Tax Officer?
Ans: Salary up to 62,000 per month is given to the Income Tax Officer.
Q2. Whether a female candidate is considered eligible to work as an Income Tax Officer?