How to Become a Professor: Most of you students must have received praise from your teacher/professional class for getting good marks while studying in school and college, or for doing homework on time, etc. Many times humble, disciplined and meritorious students are the darlings of their teachers during their education, and many times they also get praise and inspiration from them.
But have any of you ever thought or thought that you also have to make a career in the field of education in the future? Because there are many students who think from childhood that they have to become a good teacher/professor in future and build society as a good person.
Actually, if you want to make a career in the field of education, then different types of options are available, out of which you are going to get information on a particular topic through this article. It will be our endeavor to give you information about what are the basic things to be followed for building a career as a professor, and the eligibility, examination etc. aspects related to it.
How to Become a Professor – Become a College Professor
Definition of Professor
After the completion of school education till class X, you have to take admission in the college for the study of class XI. Where the education level up to class XI and XII is called junior college or junior college education.
After the education of junior college, you have to take admission in senior college for the education of bachelor degree, in both these cases, the teacher class teaching you different subjects is called professor.
Professor is called Professor in English language, here another important thing also happens that Professor of class 11th and class 12th is called junior level professor.
The professor appointed for the same bachelor’s degree and higher level of education is called senior professor.
Different Types of Professor
Let’s have a look at the level of professor, in which we will tell you in detail what are the types of professors.
- Assistant Professor
- Associate Professor
The above-given posts are also known by other names, whose level is almost the same, the posts included in this are as follows:
- Junior lecturer
- Senior lecturer
Here you have to understand the main thing that in general there are various posts from class 11th and class 12th to graduate, post-graduate and university professor, apart from this, there is a difference in education according to the stream.
Suppose that apart from arts, commerce and science, there are colleges related to engineering, medical, pharmacy, nursing, architecture etc.
So when it comes to the eligibility related to the post of professor, then you will have to think separately of all these, although if seen, basically there is not much difference in their eligibility, yet we will try to explain it to you in an easy way.
1. Eligibility for Assistant Professor
Here we will look at those things which are mandatory for selection as Assistant Professor, it includes:
- Interested candidate must have passed minimum Master’s Degree/Post Graduation Degree in Education with any specific subject eg MA (History, Sociology, Psychology, Geography, Political Science, Economics etc.), M.Com (Accounting & Finance, E Commerce, Banking, Business Administration, Statistics), MSC (Physics, Botany, Zoology, Microbiology, Chemistry, Agricultural Science, Mathematics etc.)
- It is mandatory to pass a postgraduate degree with a minimum of 55% marks, in which according to the Constitution of India, it is mandatory for the students coming under the reserved category to have a minimum aggregate of 50 percent of the master’s degree.
- Here, the interested candidate has to compulsorily qualify the National Eligibility Test NET (NET-National Eligibility Test) to be taken for this post across India or the State Eligibility Test SET (SET- State Eligibility Test) to be taken under the state.
- All the candidates who have acquired PhD / M.Phil degree are not required to give NET and SET examination, that is, such candidates are considered eligible here and appointed to the post of Assistant Professor.
2. Eligibility for Associate Professor
- Interested candidate must have passed minimum Master’s degree / Post Graduation degree education with any specific subject.
- It is mandatory to complete PhD degree with good marks and good performance during the time of education.
- It is necessary to pass Post Graduate Degree / Post Graduation Degree with minimum 55% aggregate marks.
- Interested candidates should have experience of working as a lecturer in a college for a minimum period of eight years, or as an assistant professor or researcher in an educational institution or university. While working as a researcher Such a candidate should have prepared at least 7 research articles whose total score should be minimum 75 as per UGC norms.
- Any candidate who is interested for the post of Associate Professor, he should have made some new changes in the field of education, making important suggestions for the education and working on the subjects related to academic curriculum, which has special importance in the selection process.
3. Eligibility for lecturer
- For the post of lecturer, it is mandatory for the candidate to complete the education of minimum PhD degree with good marks and good behavior during the time of education.
- At the time of PhD education, at least 10 research articles should have been prepared as a researcher, in which the total minimum marks obtained under UGC guidelines and marking method should be 120.
- Interested candidate should have experience of working in any one of the post of Assistant lecturer, Associate lecturer, Researcher for a minimum of 10 years in any educational institution/university.
- Any candidate who is interested in the post of lecturer, he should have made some new changes in the field of education, giving important suggestions for education and working on the subjects related to academic curriculum.
4. Eligibility for Senior Professor Post
It becomes very important to understand one thing here that most of the posts of University Senior lecturer are filled by simple recruitment process, while 10 percent of the total available posts, the candidates are selected from among the people working on the post of Professor.
Through the information given below, we will tell you what kind of mandatory eligibility is important for this post, which includes.
- For the post of Senior lecturer, the candidate should have worked as a Professor in any College/Educational Institution/University for a minimum of 10 years.
- Such a candidate should have worked in the field of education as a researcher most of the times, in which there should be a comprehensive change in education, effective suggestions to improve the education system and new researchers should get the vision and guidance for research.
- The selection of the candidate for this post is done after examining the characteristics of at least 10 research articles written by him, the level, the contribution received by the article in the field of education and the depth of knowledge etc. Here these are done by the selection committee established by the university. All the things are observed and cognizance is taken, finally the eligible candidate is selected.
Professor Age Limit
Although there is no upper age limit for the post of lecturer, it is mandatory for the candidate to be of 28 years for the post of Junior Research Fellow and Assistant Professor.
Here you will get to read the information about the salary given for various professor posts, which is as follows.
- Assistant Professor Salary: Initially up to Rs.40,000 per month salary is given to the people working in this post, in which the difference can be seen according to the place of work and the educational institution.
- Associate Professor Salary: About Rs.74,000 per month salary is given for this post, in which the difference can be seen according to public college / institution and private college and work place etc.
- Professor Salary: The monthly salary of the people working in this post is up to Rs.10000, but even here you get to see the difference according to the type and location of the educational institution.
- Senior Professor Salary: Salary ranging from Rs.20 lakh to Rs.30 lakh is given annually to the people working in this post. In which senior lecturer in education institute or university is given salary according to difference in this way.
In this way, through all the above aspects, we have given you information related to the post of Professor, in which we have put all the necessary things in front of you. We have full faith that you will definitely benefit from the given information, to benefit other people through this information, share the article to all of them. Many thanks for staying connected with us.
- Custom Officer Salary
- How to Become Income Tax Officer
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Top Programming Language
- Paramedical Course
- BDS Course Details
Frequently asked questions about Professor
Q1. Is it mandatory to qualify National Eligibility Test (NET) or State Eligibility Test (SET) for the post of Assistant Professor?
Q2. Do PhD degree holder students get exemption from National Eligibility Test (NET) for the post of Assistant Professor?
Q3. What is the minimum education eligibility for the post of Professor?
Ans: Interested candidates should be PhD degree holders.
Q4. How many years of work experience is required for the post of Professor?
Ans: Minimum 10 years.